- The United Nations estimates that each one of us uses nearly 140 kilograms of plastic each year.
- More than 8 million tons of plastic are dumped in our oceans every year.
- 100.7 billion plastic beverage bottles were sold in the U.S. in 2014, or 315 bottles per person.
- The process of producing bottled water requires around 6 times as much water per bottle as there is in the container.
- 70% of the oxygen we breathe is produced by marine plants.
- How We Can Keep Plastics Out of Our Ocean
- Boyan Slat: How we will rid the oceans of plastic (May 2017)
- Plastic Oceans Foundation [website]
- Wise up to plastic [ video]
- Australian Marine Conservation Society [website]
Photo Credit: Jorge Gamboa, Bicébé 2017